...Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening...
* locations...North Carolina high country...north into the mountain Empire of southwest Virginia.
* Hazard types...heavy wet snow.
* Accumulations...total snow accumulation of 3 to 6 inches...with 6 to 10 inches at elevations above 3500 feet.
* Timing...heaviest snowfall this morning with added snow showers through early this evening.
* Impacts...locally heavy snow...plus strong winds... will down some trees and cause power outages. Roads will become slick at higher elevations...with reduced visibilities.
* Winds...northwest 15 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph. Highest gusts will occur mainly late this afternoon and evening.
* Temperatures...in the upper 20s to lower 30s...only rising into the mid to upper 30s this afternoon.
A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts of snow are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an emergency. If you must travel...keep an extra flashlight...food... and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.
The public is encouraged to report snowfall amounts or wind damage to the National Weather Service via email at rnk.Skywarn@noaa.Gov or at phone number 1...8 6 6...2 1 5... 4 3 2 4. You can also send reports via our facebook Page or twitter. For additional weather information...visit US on the web at at http://www.Weather.Gov/rnk.